Over July and August 2021, we gathered the views of Aucklanders. Thanks to everyone who shared their views.
What we heard
The team used all feedback received to create an engagement summary which has been issued to the Government alongside the business case and recommendations.
Key findings from the engagement were:
- Aucklanders want light rail
- Corridor communities shared the strongest need and desire for the project
- Reducing our carbon footprint is very important to Aucklanders
- People want a reliable, frequent, safe and comfortable public transport option
- People recognise it will help support new housing, compact city, access to jobs and study
- Community partnership is critical to meet the needs of locals
Some people expressed concerns about:
- Ensuring the affordability of using light rail
- Gentrification in communities
- Construction disruption
- Environmental, cultural, civic and heritage impacts
The full engagement summary will be released with the Indicative Business Case, after the Government makes an announcement on how the project will move forward in early 2022.
Image: People's sentiment toward the project
How we engaged with you
COVID-19 changed how we gathered feedback
COVID-19 Alert Level 4 lockdown during the last two weeks of our engagement period meant we couldn’t meet in person, so we moved our engagement online and were contactable via email and the 0800 phone number. We:
- held 10 stakeholder workshops, 9 meetings and 5 presentations
- sent 2 e-newsletters to our key stakeholder and subscriber list of 1,648 people
- boosted digital and social advertising and issued a media statement, all promoting our online feedback form and ways to contact the team
- posted on project partner Facebook pages and Twitter accounts
- encouraged interest groups, advocates, elected members and other key stakeholders to remind people to share their views before 1 September 2021
Ongoing opportunities to get involved
If a decision is made to progress the project, there will be opportunities to give feedback during the next phase. For example the location and design of stops or stations, route and community connections.
We had a great response at our events. Thanks to everyone who stopped by to see the team and shared their views with us.